Saturday, July 10, 2021

WHAT A DOUBLE FEATURE!



Of the thousands of films I've seen from many time periods, genres, and languages, there are two relatively unknown color films of which I am especially fond. Oddly enough they both were filmed in the 50s (54 and 56), had locations in Mexico (not my favorite setting) and starred Richard Widmark. The films are The Garden of Evil and Run for the Sun. The Garden of Evil which has generally weak reviews, I think is brilliant. I love the music, the cast: Susan Hayward, Gary Cooper, Richard Widmark, Rita Moreno, Hugh Marlowe and Cameron Mitchell. Actually everything about it. Over the years, I have met many persons who told me this was also their favorite western, and can't understand why it isn't more renowned. So I won't tell you the plot, but encourage you to find it on DVD or see it on Turner Classics. The same is true of Run for the Sun, which is another version of the much-filmed thriller The Deadliest Game, but far more exciting and suspenseful. I just watched Run for the Sun for about the 15th time and still found it an edge-of-the-seat thriller. My favorite line of many from Garden of Evil, "I guess if the world were made of gold, men would die for a handful of dirt."

No comments:

Post a Comment