Monday, July 26, 2021

SOUNDS LIKE.

Having been an advertising copywriter or 40 years, I am quick to point out that most of today's commercials are pretty lame. Bad enough that most of them  suck, but you have to see them dozens of times a day.  Often the same once-was-enough commercial plays twice in a row. But while Limu Emu is annoying as hell, and Prevagen is a fraud product promoted by talented liars, the commercials that offend me most are the low-brow attempts by amateurs to get humor out of vulgarity. Stuffed Puffs for instance is a good example. They end their vin ordinaire ads claiming their product is "fluffing delicious" in the hopes that you'll think of a more forbidden word and giggle. How this sells smores is beyond me. Several other classless advertisers try similar pathetic stunts. Decades ago commercials were created by talented writers and art directors. I don't know who dreams up today's often illogical or infantile promotions, but I sure miss the good old days or "Where's the beef?" and "I can't believe I ate the whole thing."

P.S. I lied. Prevagen offends me most. I can't believe that gullible consumers are spending up to $40.00 a month on a product that has not been proven effective, and actually think these TV actors are telling them the truth.


No comments:

Post a Comment