Saturday, July 24, 2021

FOND AND FUNNY MEMORIES.

Like many seniors, I have glorified memories of the golden days of radio.  I recall the cozy pleasure of being in bed in Roxbury, Mass., listening in the dark to the drama of  Gang Busters, Dragnet, Mr. Kean, Tracer of Lost Persons, the comedy of  Our Miss Brooks, My Friend Irma, and the Great Gildersleeve, and the top entertainment shows like Jack Benny, Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy, and Amos and Andy. So, like many consumers I ordered recordings from Radio Spirits in order to recapture some of these warm memories. In some cases it was successful. Jack Benny is as funny as he ever was, but most variety shows seem dated and forced. The scripts on shows like Our Miss Brooks and My Friend Irma are amateurish and strained, and the radio dramas of the past are, for the most part, not compelling or believable. In short most of the shows I ordered are disappointments with one exception. The only series if have found hilariously funny,  and worth listening to again and again is The Couple Next Door with Peg Lynch and Alan Bunce. The skits are as true to life today as they were in the 50s, and  the acting is terrific (it's hard to believe they're standing around a mike). Most people don't appreciate that Peg Lynch practically invented the sitcom, so it's no surprise her creations are so brilliant. So if you pine for the good old days of radio drama, take my advice. Contact Radio Spirits to buy the shows that you recall most fondly. But be sure to order at least one of The Couple Next Door series. Unless I miss my guess, you'll soon be ordering the rest of this very funny and nostalgic series.

No comments:

Post a Comment