Monday, November 16, 2015

What SunTrust calls protection.

Today I received my new SunTrust card in the mail. This was the card with "chip technology for enhanced security".  To activate it, I was required to call a phone number (probably in Omaha). Since I assumed this was a security measure, I was prepared to provide them with my Social Security Number, home address, mother's maiden name, or any other information that would safeguard my identity.  Therefore I was surprised when the mechanical voice asked me to read the 16-digit number on the card.  Since SunTrust has a lousy phone system, it could not make out my carefully articulated reading, so I typed it in. Once I did, the voice thanked me and said my card was now activated. I am assuming the system identified me by my phone number, but I'm not convinced in this age when more and more consumers lack land lines.  One wonders if a  thief had stolen my mail today and opened it to find my new credit card, would all he or she have to do is read off, or type, 16 numbers, then have complete freedom to use my credit card?

No comments:

Post a Comment