Friday, February 8, 2013

Ruining lives is so danged adorable.


Melissa McCarthy, it seems to me, is a talented actress with tons of personality. The fact that she is a plus size doesn't bother me in the least. What does bother me are the roles she takes. Mike and Molly is a vulgar sitcom that tells us a whole lot more about the bodily functions of these two overweight characters than I would ever want to know. I think it's successful, which says a lot about viewer's tolerance for bathroom humor and less-than-erotic sexuality. At any rate, we'd better get used to Melissa, since judging from the recent Coming Attractions (or does everyone call them trailers), she's scheduled to be in a lot of movies, notably Identity Thief with Jason Bateman. How anyone could conceive of making a movie in which the heroine is an identity thief is beyond me. These are, after all, among the lowest scum on the earth, soulless creatures who steal other's names and social security numbers, run up their charge cards, ruin their lives and never give a thought to the destruction they leave behind. This is the adorable, wild and wacky star of Identity Thief. I can only hope the American public, seeing how vomitous a theme this is, fails to show up in droves. Of if they don't , I hope if someday they fall prey to one of these despicable criminals, someone says to them, "Gee you thought it was funny in Identity Thief.

No comments:

Post a Comment