Thursday, February 7, 2013

Highlight of an all right film.

I think America is losing its ability to gauge a good film. All the much-heralded films I've seen this year have been all right, just all right. Lincoln was all right. We already know I hate Spielberg's camerawork. In this film there were camera flares, thumbprints, mysterious blobs. Daniel-Day Lewis was very good as Lincoln, if, in fact, Lincoln moved and talked annoying slowly when he was only in his 50s.  But like I say. It was all right. It was entertaining. It was not a masterpiece nor a cause for celebration. The same is true of Les Miserables. It was all right. Yes, the cast was fine. The singing, all right. The scenes that they swore were incredibly moving were also all right. The only scene I found truly moving, other than Anne Hathaway's solo, was Eddie Redmayne singing my previously least-favorite song "Empty Chairs and Empty Tables." That song, by the way, was written many years before Les Mis and featured on one or more albums of Charles Aznavour. At least now I don't have to pay to see a movie that the critics are raving about. I now know that today's critics are all in their twenties, haven't got a clue what makes a good movie and  as far as how well they do their jobs, I would say, "all right".

No comments:

Post a Comment