Monday, November 19, 2012

Remembering Royal Dano.

I have not yet seen Spielberg's new film Lincoln. I am sure that Daniel Day Lewis is excellent in the role, though I question Spielberg's ability to make me like this movie any more than his other overblown films, notably the dull Amistad.I keep hearing reports of how brilliantly they came up with a voice for Lincoln, and, to me, it sounds just like Walter Brennan. But Lincoln is always an interesting subject, and he has had many brilliant portrayers, including Henry Fonda, Raymond Massey, John Carradine, John Anderson, Gerald Bestrom, Hal Holbrook and the actor whom I suspect I regard as the best Lincoln of all: Royal Dano. I say I suspect because I still recall his performance which I saw 60 years ago as a ten-year-old. Back then Dano portrayed Lincoln in a five-part mini-series in 1952-53 on Omnibus. I recall this laconic, lanky actor as giving a performance so believable that one could imagine the real Abraham Lincoln being no different Fortunately the series is available on the Internet. Unfortunately I haven't a clue how to access it. But if you do, I  it is well worth watching. 


No comments:

Post a Comment