Monday, November 5, 2012

Not funny, McGee.

Every time I am critical of SNL on HuffPost, I get all kinds of vicious replies from fans who obviously don't know good comedy writing when they see it. Since nobody seems to know how to respond to my blog, or wants to, I'm in no danger. It's not that I don't think SNL is amusing at times, but generally it is high-school comedy writing that completely misses its mark by either being too obvious or far too over the top. All too often they try to satirize something that is already satire, like almost anything that Sarah Palin says. Compared to such British shows as Brilliant, The Big Train,  or French and Saunders SNL is pathetic. Its humor is sophomoric, it's imitations generally weak, and its so-called stars second-rate at best. Amy Poehler doesn't even come close to seeming anything like Hillary Clinton. Tina Fey was excellent as Palin because she looks like her, but her delivery was no more hysterical than that of Sarah herself. While I accept that most people seem to praise SNL, I find almost every skit sadly without true wit, subtlety or depth. In short,  I find SNL the most overrated show on television. You may not agree, but  at least you probably won't write me a nasty response.

No comments:

Post a Comment