Saturday, October 27, 2012

A medical mishap.

I am always amazed at the misuse of a word in a commercial or a film. It seems to me that there are always enough people around to assure someone will know the correct use or pronunciation. But that isn't always the case. Either nobody knows or the person who does is too timid to speak up. I saw the most blatant example of this recently in a TV show I thought I would hate, but find quite entertaining:Diagnosis Murder. In Season 5 of the series, Episode 13 titled "Retribution"two murders were committed using binary poison, that is two elements reacting to each other to cause death. But in the first part of this two-part episode the main character Dr. Sloane played by Dick Van Dyke and everyone else in the cast kept saying "Biniary" poison, which I felt certain was incorrect, which it was. Still the episode was released with that blatant error. In the conclusion of the episode, I noticed that everyone was now clearly saying "binary". What amazes me is that this is a medical show with a large cast and nobody caught this obvious mispronunciation. I would love to know the back story of this little slip-up.



No comments:

Post a Comment