Monday, October 29, 2012

A crappie sport.

I only know one person who "goes fishin'", and I really don't know him: He's the husband of a friend. In my 70 years I've never had a relative or a friend who went fishing. I don't recall ever working with anyone who went on a fishing trip. But, based on television commercials, one would think that fishing is the most popular pastime in America. Every headache remedy, pharmaceutical, car model, and beer has someone fishing, often with their grandchildren. It is always portrayed as charming, harmless, harmonica-accompanied pleasure performed by decent, honest God-and-family people. This despite the fact that their joy is in driving a sharp hook into the mouth of a living creature then yanking it out of the water and tossing it onto a deck or into a basket where it pathetically gasps for breath until it dies. Of course they would never see it this way, which is why they love fishing so much. I'm so glad I don't know anyone who goes fishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment