Friday, November 18, 2011

Every now and then a movie comes along and as you watch it unfold, you think of all the people to whom you must recommend this wonderful film. You are stunned by the disturbing theme, and impressed by the stellar cast: Kirstin Dunst, Kieffer Sutherland, John Hurt, Charlotte Rampling and all the other superb actors who you should, but don't, know But it isn't long before you think this movie is really stupid. What was I thinking? To me that film was Melancholia. Perhaps I was taken in by the opening scenes and lush music, reminiscent of 2001. Or maybe it was the charm of the first actual scene of a gorgeous Kirsten Dunst, magnificently wedding-gowned. trapped with her handsome groom in a limousine too stretched for the circular country road leading to her wealthy brother-in-law's country mansion. They get there, of course, and the film then begins its pretentious and illogical plummet to become Smiles of Summer Night meets When Worlds Collide.While I wont deny it's riveting, it's also full of holes. Kirstin a copywriter? I don't think so. Kieffer doing what he did? Nah. And the ending which I won't reveal is about as stupid and unlikely as anything I've seen. As is usual with pretentious and obtuse films, many critics are falling all over themselves in praise of this pretty nonsense. The only reason to see it is because Kirstin is excellent and beautiful and because you'll want to ask yourself the question: What would you do?

Note: I am sure someone will tell me that in my ignorance I missed the entire meaning of this film. I hope they do. I'd love to know what it all means.

No comments:

Post a Comment