Saturday, November 19, 2011

I wonder how I really feel.

I cannot escape the feeling that it I weren't taking medicines for my health, my health would be greatly improved. But we have been convinced that to cease taking these medications puts us in greater danger of debilitating illness or death, and since we are not physicians we have to surrender to the advice of experts. Still there have been days when I felt very, to use an old word, hale, and then recalled that I had forgotten to take one or more pills. It seems the more pills my doctors add, the greater number of problems accompany them. If your doctor prescribes a pill for your prostate, say goodbye to virility. Once you start a pill for high cholesterol expect to be weaker and less muscular. Take a pill for a good night's sleep, and you'll feel logy all the next day. Some side effects are unnoticeable, others very obvious. You may put on weight, lose weight, have diminished eyesight, have trouble sleeping, have difficulty waking or just plain not feel yourself. Others you may not know until it's too late, when your kidneys say, "I've had enough of this shit. Get me to a dialysis center" Still I get up every morning and take my Hyzaar, Simvestatin, Avodart and Prevacid, but never without this thought: What the hell am I doing? Carl Sandburg once wrote, "When I was ill, I took so many medicines that I was sick a long time after I got well."

No comments:

Post a Comment