Monday, October 19, 2015

A discontented Savoyard.

I love Gilbert and Sullivan. I can't imagine how anyone could be depressed during, or right after, seeing any G and S show. If I had a bucket list, which I don't, going to one of England's G and S festivals would be right at the top. But there is something that bothers me. My favorite operetta of theirs is The Gondoliers, followed by Yeoman of the Guard, The Mikado, and Ruddigore. But all their operettas are  wonderful. Well not all.  Which is why I can't imagine why almost every available production is my least favorite: The Pirates of Penzance.  Pirates is what they did on Broadway, in the movies, by almost every local theatre group. Why?  It's not their best, not their wittiest, not nearly as good as HMS  Pinafore.  It is because there are so many roles, including those annoying British policeman pounding around the stage? Even the songs are annoying. I don't think" pirate" and "pilot" sound anything alike, despite being the theme for a song central to the plot; and "A Policeman's Lot is Not a Happy One" isn't even mildly amusing. Living in Miami, one gets very few chances to see a Gilbert and Sullivan show, and right now there is one being performed locally. I'm sure it's probably very well done.  But it is, of course, The Pirates of Penzance, so I shall give it a miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment