Wednesday, October 7, 2015

How many? One in five, in ten?

Disturbing event. I have been a Kindle customer for about two years. During that time I have ordered many books. Some very entertaining. Some dull. Recently when I ordered Augustus: The Life and Times of Rome's Greatest Emperor by Simon T. Bailey, I was stunned by the number of typos,  inaccurate statements, and use of modern slang. Then it occurred to me that Amazon/Kindle was selling me a self-published book. I think this is shocking. One is buying a second-rate product; a book no publisher thought worthy of putting in print is being sold to me by Kindle and being listed along with first-quality publications by renowned authors. I'm not saying the book isn't well-enough written, despite the many errors, but it should have been presented as a vanity publication. Essentially Kindle is making a fortune pawning off on the paying public books that no publisher wanted. I call this fraud.

No comments:

Post a Comment