Sunday, October 5, 2014

How does your health plan stack up?

One of today's most common complaints is the high cost of medical care. While I don't have any idea of what creates the greatest expenses, I can tell you what surely helps. Mailings. As a member of AvMed's medicare supplement insurance, I receive endless irritating mailings week after week after week. Each mail item costs an average of 38 cents. But my partner also receives the same mailing though I have told them they need not send two. So that's almost $40 a year . Multiply that by their many thousands of members. And that's not counting the costly membership books, which are necessary, and the many other heavy mailings which are not necessary. Do I read this material? Of course not. I'm sure some of it is important, but most of it is not. I like my AvMed health plan, except when I get to the so-called "gap" and have to pay full price for my medications. Maybe if they cut down on all these unnecessary mailings, the gap could be less painful.

No comments:

Post a Comment