Thursday, October 16, 2014

I hate the word "should".

In a recent HuffPost article book critic,Maureen Corrigan, suggested that everyone "should" read The Great Gatsby. She gave all the reasons she thinks it's a great novel and described her particular relationship with this admired American classic. What bullshit. I personally have found The Great Gatsby to be a compete bore and I have tried reading it twice. That doesn't mean it is a bore. Many readers love it, admire it, worship it even. But that's the point. Why "should" people read anything that doesn't interest them when there are bound to be so many books that do. I personally no longer read fiction. Most of my friends would never read true crime, my passion. Should I tell them they "should"read Ann Rule while they insist I "should" read John Grisham? Of course not. Unless you are forced to read to learn something, read what you like. Hmmm. I have a beautiful blonde friend who will read this post and think, "I cannot believe you didn't like The Great Gatsby".

No comments:

Post a Comment