Sunday, May 6, 2012

Josh Groban - You Raise Me Up

There are many versions of this song on YouTube. Some people proclaim in the most beautiful song they have ever heard. And, while Josh Groban, has a great voice, I think this song sucks. For starters, it's just a rip-off of Danny Boy, which is one of the most beautiful songs ever written. But, unlike Danny Boy, the lyrics in this song are insipid. "You raise me up so I can stand on mountains." is something you can do anyway. "You raise me up to walk on stormy seas." is something nobody can do. "I am strong when I am on your shoulders."Shoulder would have been a better lyric as shoulders suggests straddling someone's head. And finally, "You raise me up to more than I can be." Nobody can raise you up to more than you can be. They can raise you up to more than you thought you could be. But then the meter wouldn't fit the stolen Danny Boy. I find much-acclaimed claptrap like this incredibly offensive. Partly because it's so bad, but mostly because it reminds me of just what kind of sentimental shit people fall for.

No comments:

Post a Comment