Friday, February 3, 2012

"Hey, yuk, yuk, did you see..."

Every year at this time friends and acquaintances ask me if I'm exciting about the upcoming Super Bowl commercials. This always surprises me because I thought everybody knew that I detest advertising. Not as much as I loathe football, of course, but I have no interest in these supposedly brilliant commercials which are usual corny, chauvinistic, and scatological. Several of them usually depend on talking animals or nerdy guys who cannot get a date with the busty blonde who's always portrayed as dumb or the gorgeous brunette who is usually shown as smart (except in beer commericlas where everybody is stupid). Hmmmm. Many will of course depend on comic violence or good friends betraying each other. I usually find them, like most commercials, weak concepts backed by tons of money and adored by utterly unsophisticated people. Unfortunately I will have to hear them described to me by people I hardly know who often find their own descriptions chokingly funny. Not only are the commercials annoying, but this gives the incredibly lazy news media another major opportunity t o ignore real news so they can cover a non-story with almost the identical words they said last year and the year before and the year before. I am sure I will get sadistic satisfaction at some point reviewing one or more of these advertising gems. I included a Budweiser visual because their commercials are usually the most lowbrow, the most talked-about, and the least intelligent.

No comments:

Post a Comment