Wednesday, February 9, 2011

"Am I fabulous or what?"


Hubris is an interesting blessing or curse. The Palins, despite no talent for anything are loaded with it. Bristol Palin thinks nothing of inexpertly hoofing around the stage in front of millions of viewers because she thinks she's great, and possibly thin. No rushing off in tears because people ridiculed her. No. Not for this heavyweight champ. Bristol's addlepated mother, Sarah, is the queen of hubris. Her massive ego is never dented by her own idiocies, misspeaks and malapropisms. Most of us, after the Katie Couric debacle, would not be able to face another reporter, yet Sarah goes blithely out to fuck up again and again and again, shielded from any self-criticism by the armor of her narcissism. It never occurs to her that if she didnt have a pretty face, a nice bod and straight, white teeth, she'd be competing with all the other methmothers of Wasilla. It seems the stupidest and least-inspired people have the greatest hubris. George Bush never questioned his endless stupidities, was never embarrassed by the countless CDs, videos and calendars that highlighted his many gaffes. Of course these nitwits are the exception, the complete incompetents that are filled with confidence and self-admiration. To a lesser extent, we all have some hubris. Of course not being mentally unstable like the Palins and Bushes, we keep it in check. I, for instance, am participating in a play competition this weekend. On Friday night eight playwrights will be given play titles and assigned a director and cast at a local university. While I rarely think I will excel at any competition, I am confident that I will write the best play, even though the other playwrights have excellent resumes. Hubris. So check with me in a few days and see if I have been absurdly confident. And if I fail completely, will I be like Sarah Palin and still think that my play was absolutely the best and I'm the victim of some kind of conspiracy.

No comments:

Post a Comment