Thursday, June 4, 2020

THE BEST OF TWO BETTYS.

One of the best performances I have ever seen was Meredith Baxter as Betty Broderick in the 1992 TV movie A Woman Scorned. Her depiction of this double murderess is so chilling, so unique, so disturbing that I can't image why Amanda Peet would even attempt to play the same role. As good as Ms. Peet is, she is lost in a mediocre production and paired with Christian Slater who seems small and weasely, unlike the far more murderable Stephen Collins. I doubt that I will bother watching Part II of Dirty John/The Betty Broderick Story (Dirty John is a ridiculous and confusing series header.) Obviously this new version is more sympathetic to Betty, who remains in prison, but the script and direction are so predictable, I don't care about anyone. It just makes me want to rent or buy the 1992 version if just to see how brilliantly Ms. Baxter goes mad.



No comments:

Post a Comment