Tuesday, June 7, 2016

EVER HEARD OF PAUL GROVES?


I've never understood whether the musical Candide was always meant to be a tongue-in-cheek show as seen here. If so, it's odd considering how gorgeous the music is and how philosophical Voltaire's source material. I do know there have been many versions of the show, not always successful. I happen to love the Bernstein music and the brilliant lyrics by Richard Wilbur, John Latouche, Dorothy Parker and, later, Stephen Sondheim. But the purpose of this post is not to expose you to the music or lyrics so much as the powerful voice of Paul Groves, the star this 2005 Great Performances TV special. I was not aware of him until today, which makes you wonder how many other great talents are there of which we are completely unaware.

Note: Sorry, I have no idea how to remove these annoying commercials.

No comments:

Post a Comment