Monday, June 13, 2022

BROADWAY BOMBS.


Having watched the 75th Annual Tony Awards Sunday night, I can truthfully say I have never seen so many hideous gowns or mediocre Broadway performances. I am astounding that so many celebrities had friends who allowed them to be seen I such comical outfits, often designed to show off their breasts in a manner far from classy. And the shows! Has Broadway ever seemed so lackluster. MJ presented expert dancers in a predictable ho-hom number. Billy Crystal was an embarrassment with his cornball number in which he begged a hostage audience to participate in a dippy forgettable song. Worst of all was heaping praise on the mediocre director of the new unnecessary Company who apparently approved of that claustrophobic box set in which the principles gave a boring rendition of the opening number supposedly featuring  the "breakthrough" Bobbi, an actress complete devoid of any beauty or charisma in an absurd red dress. Considering the combined experience of the audience (lots of empty seats) I can only assume the applause was out of politeness and they went home as horrified as I am, more so because they had to sit through the whole dismal show, and I left after one torturous hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment