Monday, March 9, 2020

I DON'T GET IT.

As an atheist since age 12, I am a bit perplexed about reactions to the Coronavirus. For instance why did Pope Francis cancel services. Doesn't he trust God to protect Rome's Catholics against infection, or at least protect him?  For that matter, why do religious people everywhere not think that prayer may be enough protection?  For that matter why do religious people think that God, whom they believe decides everything would, on  a whim, unleash this sometimes deadly virus and at the same time saddle America with a doofus president who is clueless on how to deal with it? I think a lot of religious people are good, kind, generous, altruistic true believers.  I think even more are selfish hypocrites. But I think they are all a bit unrealistic putting all their faith in something so far removed from reality and lacking even a iota of evidence. Nevertheless, if it fulfills you, I say continue in your faith. But if it doesn't, I suggest you subscribe to FREETHOUGHT, Box 750, Madison, WI 53701. And I also suggest that, when you're not using your hands to pray, you wash them frequently with soap and water, keep them away from your face, and never let them come in contact with anyone else's hands..

2 comments:

  1. From what I read the Pope did not want to encourage throngs of people gathering enmass. It seemed like a pretty good reason to try to keep people at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is a good reason for an atheist. But someone so
    supposedly close to God should be able to have faith the
    He would protect such a holy occasion.

    ReplyDelete