Wednesday, October 10, 2018

FILLING A PRESCRIPTION

When I, at 75, found out I had a heart blockage, I immediately went into the hospital and had four stents installed. In the follow up, my doctor stressed, "You must take two Brilintas every day, possibly for a year or longer. " Following his advice seemed easy enough, although the $30 a month co-pay was kind of annoying. Recently when I was running low, I went to the pharmacist for a refill.
I was told he would have to get it approved by my doctor. I couldn't understand why a medicine I had to take for a year or longer had to be approved after two months. Still I had three pills left. But they were soon gone and the refill hadn't been approved yet by the doctor who practically suggested I would die without these pills. Later, after I had two days without the needed pills, the refill was approved. The only problem was that I had reached the gap in my coverage and instead of the pills being $90 for three months, they were $375.00. This made me think two things. How disgustingly greedy pharmaceutical companies are.  And what do poor or uninsured people do when they are faced with the outrageous costs of staying alive?

No comments:

Post a Comment