Thursday, June 14, 2012

Kraft, anything but crafty.

I've written about these Kraft Cheese commercials before, but I driven to do it again because I find them so creepy. As a kid we liked Kraft's dinner. It was cheap, tasty enough and easy to make, though I don't remember even going into raptures because I knew we were having it for dinner. I know that Kraft commercials were among the best on television. They were often recipes, narrated by actor, Dan O'Herlihy, and though I've never been interested in cooking I found them fascinating. So these new commercials with bitter, angry, duplicitous children astound me.  What agency thought this was a great idea. Must be the same one that that though a mother in describing Oreos in front of her children uses a euphemism for "Shut the fuck up" The latest. which wasn't on YouTube,  shows a neurotic, paranoid boy who, to make sure his parents don't make Kraft dinner during his sleepover, has stolen all the pots and pans. Whimsical? No.
Sicko. As a ex-copywriter, I think the ideal slogan for Kraft commercials should be: Dinner for Dysfunctional Families.

No comments:

Post a Comment