Sunday, January 8, 2012

As a gay man, I certainly feel we should be given all the rights of straight people.. But I would hope we don't fall into that marriage trap that so many straight people do. Even given license, please let's not spend a fortune on an absurdly costly wedding and reception when the same money could be used as a down payment on a great city condominium or a house in some gay-friendly community. You'll hate me for saying this but two brides or two grooms look silly and imitative.And which groom dances with his father? How would you imitate these time-honored traditions. And why would we want to copy a ritual that was kind of ridiculous in the first place? At least let's come up with our own. I suspect a lot of the hatred for gays is just plan jealousy. No children. More income. Often, but not always in exciting fields. And certainly, if not committed, a far busier sex life. If I were an overweight, tightly reined, straight men with three costly children to put through college, I would hate me, too. But I would feel somewhat better if I passed a church and saw two handsome grooms rushing down the stairs into a waiting stretch lmousine knowing their wedding cost a ton more money than mine did.

No comments:

Post a Comment