Saturday, June 18, 2011

You must have been dreaming.

I used to keep a dream diary. For some reason I stopped, which I think was a mistake because when I look back at past dreams they are fascinating. In many cases themes were repeated. Lots of shipboard dreams: being lost in a futuristic city; flying under one's own power; meeting someone you actually miss upon waking. Last night I dreamed I was on a cruise ship going I don't know where. The ship was a marvel of design with city streets, a huge beer garden, all kinds of restaurants and public rooms. The only drawback was I was supposed to participate in a play aboard this ship and could not remember a single line of the script. Fortunately I woke before I had to perform. When I did wake, I felt like I had been on a sea vacation and was quite smug about the imagery. That is until I talked to my partner, Peter. It seems he had dreamed that we went to the island of Haiti, which was greatly changed and called Bombex. It was a city of temples, great wealth, continual pageantry, apes. horses, and bazaars. The myriad details were so clear that he recalls the elaborate chariots in the parade and the fact that the driver made his horses face away from the crowd at each turn as that apparently frightened them. Another detail was a round arena completely enclosed by a high glass wall through which the audience could watch the action inside. Having a front-row seat, Peter was surprised that a woman inside the arena came to the wall and seemed to be yelling at him. He soon realized she was trying to explain the arena events. Some people tell me they don't dream, which I don't believe. If so, it's unfortunate because one's dream life can be rich and revealing. I have written several stories based on dreams and even changed a negative feeling about someone after having a positive experience with them in a dream.The greatest mystery to me is seeing places and things in great detail,detail you can't imagine you could imagine. Yet there it is. Faces you don't recognize; artistry you are not capable of producing; aerial views of countryside with each house below having its own pool, barn or other property feature; vistas that are not from any movie or painting. Living in Miami during these hot days is, frankly, a bit of a bore. But fortunately one can easily get away. Last night I went on a dream cruise aboard a spectacular ship and my partner, Peter, had an incredible adventure in Bombex.

No comments:

Post a Comment