Friday, December 31, 2010

Quick, get me some insulin.

I like nurses. I admire nurses. My sister is a nurse. So is one of my youngest and most intelligent friends. And because I do have such a high regard for nurses, I think they deserve better than this insipid jingle from Johnson & Johnson. First of all the lyrics are, "You're a nurse. You make a difference." I think a nurse knows he or she a nurse. And I'm pretty sure they know they make a difference. But they make a difference in many ways far removed from these cliched Hallmark scenes. I would have been happier to see a harried nurse, an exhausted caregiver, even an impatient nurse fed up to here with overwork and paperwork. If you've ever been in a hospital, you know that nurses aren't always smiling angels with Crest smiles and cheerful willingness. They can't be because their jobs are too hard. Sorry Johnson & Johnson. Your heart's in the right place, but I find your "You're a nurse" commercials sickingly sentimental and the jingle just plain annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment