Thursday, January 18, 2018

REMEMBER NOT TO BUY THIS4

Not only do I resent that we Americans are exposed to far more ads than are necessary for the networks to make a huge profit, but I hate that so many of them are lies. I have already complained that there are still lots of ads for Prevagen, a debunked memory aid that sells for $40 a bottle. Shame.
Another major fraud is febreze which does not in any way "eliminate" odors, but merely covers them up like every other air freshener. Tut tut. On the commercial, a single Swiffer cleans up the messiest messes, but, in reality, it takes only a minute for each costly pad to become filthy and require a replacement. The Black & Decker lithium powered vac I bought died from exhaustion after only three or four cleanups. I like Mucinex. but it isn't close to the miracle drug presented on TV. Those are just a few of the thousands of ads which we are exposed to every week which no authority
checks for accuracy. Of course one of the problems is that many consumers will continue to praise a product even after it has failed them. Those are the deceptive ads.Then there are the ones I don't even understand; the ones that are poorly written; the ones that are incredibly vulgar (there's febreze again!);the products that will make you sexier and imbue you with a sense of adventure (most car ads); and the endless pitches for products such as those that will cure your acne, but destroy your immune system, give you thoughts of suicide and possibly lead to cancer. As an advertising copywriter for 40 years, I'm probably more critical of today's excessive advertising than most viewers. I'll try to be less critical and suspicious. But I'll tell you this: I haven't tried Oxiclean, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to remove stains as miraculously as it does on TV.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, there's one Febreze spot that's particularly cringeworthy and embarrassing. Ugh. And pharmaceutical companies should never have been given approval to advertise. It just puts more pressure on physicians. Double ugh.

    ReplyDelete