Saturday, May 1, 2021

 I went into Bergdorf-Goodman's the other day. The store is beautiful, the clerks are beautiful, the merchandise is beautiful. But as I passed through the store on my way to the other elegant and costly shops of Merrick Park, I realized one thing: It doesn't matter how expensive or high style a store is, they all have the same low-brow music. Bergdorf plays the same crap as K-Mart.  Every retailer seems to favor pop music with mediocre singers and generally one line of lyrics repeated ten to thirty times. It must be a lot cheaper than classical music or the Great American songbook. Even Target, long a hold-out for any music, is now jumping on the blandwagon. I told the Target clerk, I had to leave because I couldn't stand this ear-offending music a moment longer. Since she was young I expected her to say, "Oh, I like it." but what she said with a grimace was, "Try listening to this for eight hours."

No comments:

Post a Comment