Sunday, January 27, 2019

PRAISED AND PANNED. PHOOEY.

It's interesting how some films are highly praised and others are panned or overlooked. I recently saw the film My Fair Lady, which I detest for being overproduced and claustrophobic (Get me out of that library). It also has several songs that are just incredibly ordinary and boring like "Just You Wait, 'Enry 'Iggins" and "Without You". Yuck. On the other hand the same team wrote Brigadoon, a film I loved and have watched many times, including last night. This film, which doesn't have a single bad song was panned by the critics in 1954 and lost money for MGM. (One critic called it a Technicolor disaster. So much for critics, it was filmed in Ansco color). Another critic raved about Robert Goulet in the later TV version (so much for critics. Great voice. Overacted). So I, for one, am a huge fan of Brigadoon and truly believe My Fair Lady is good, not great. And speaking of rotten films based on an incredibly ordinary stage musicals, you can't do worse than Camelot, also by Alan Jay Lerner and Frederick Loewe.

No comments:

Post a Comment